In September Multnomah County conducted an investigation for a child who had lead poisoning. The home was built in 1906, and the investigation revealed that the primary exposure point was due to deteriorated lead-based paint on the kitchen floor. The family did not have the means to make the repairs to solve the issue, and were in process of applying to the Lead Hazard Control Grant, which at the time was temporarily unavailable to the family.
Community Energy Project worked with Portland Housing Bureau to provide work through our In-Home Services program. We put down temporary flooring to cover the deteriorated paint and protect the child from further exposure until larger repairs can be done through the Lead Hazard Control Grant.
Multnomah County followed up with CEP last month to let us know that when the child was re-tested, and the amount of lead in his blood had dropped by half!